Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Unforgettable Epic Ride @ Cameron Highlands



Mountain bikers who have never been on an epic ride are missing the greatest experience that can be had on two wheels. The scenery that unfolds before your handlebars as you pedal your way around a 30 to 40 mile loop give the sense that you are watching a 360-degree motion picture in slow motion. It is an adventure that can only be experienced on a mountain bike. With the possible exception of a hang glider, there is no other unmotorized mode of transportation that can get you farther into the woods and back in a single day.

It has been a 6-month since my first ride on a mountain bike after successfully bought it from a bike shop in Kepong. Since then, I have waited for a long time to have a one adventurous outstation ride for me to experiences it. On a 3rd May 2003, the day came in when my fellow club rider told me about the ride at Cameron Highlands. “It’s HOB 3 Jim Thompson this weekend. We’ll be up at Camerons for another siao siao ride.” Those words have made me jump to joy. To start the journey on an epic ride, I have traveled from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands with my fellow club rider, Razlan by car. It took us almost 2½ hours journey at that rainy evening on 2nd May 2003. We managed to arrived at the Telekom Apartment located somewhere in Tanah Rata on time. After we finished unload all the baggage and off course our bikes, without further delay we started our unofficial ride on tar from Tanah Rata towards Equatorial Hotel which was the highest peak so far in Cameron Highlands. Even though our ride is not so comfortable due to the drizzled all the way up but I have enjoyed much on the ride back to our apartment, downhill all the way. At least we have done some warm-up exercise before we burned-up the off-road ride tomorrow at Jim Thompson Trail.

As early as 6.30a.m on cold Saturday morning, Razlan and I started our epic ride from Tanah Rata going towards Habu on our mountain bike. Other fellow riders decided to load their bike in a car and drive all the way to Habu our meeting point, as it is quite cold to ride after a heavy downpour last night. Riding down from Tanah Rata to Habu that morning through thick fog made my muscles shake uncontrollably but we managed to arrive at the meeting point on time. It was past 8.15am when 30 of us cranked up to the Boh Tea House. Luckily I have done some riding this morning if not, riding up that morning is killing me. As expected, the break at the Tea House was fun. It was the best breakfast I ever had in my life. It made the ride uphill from Habu to Boh Tea House worthwhile. After some photography session was done, we begin our journey to the next pit stop at the Orang Asli Settlement. First 5km from the Tea House is a downhill section through the tea plantation. Sharp corners are everywhere and make it a challenge for everyone. Surprisingly, trail conditions, though wet, were perfect. Mud was only a problem at the unavoidable mud pools dotting the trail, as a result of which chain suck became the biggest headache for most of my fellow club riders. Imagine how frustrating it was, having to push up hills that could be ridden easily otherwise. Spills were aplenty as giant ruts swallowed some of us. Luckily my bike did not encounter such problems.

Our pit stop at the Orang Asli settlement was great. We have been surrounded by the children of the rainforest like a popular movie star at the concert. Some of us even let their bike being ridden by those children. Too bad we only had enough food supply for us to survive the ride. If not, most probably we would circulate some to the children of the rainforest. After enough break we have taken, the ride begin and this time after all the joy riding the downhill sections suddenly we see a steep wall in front of us welcoming us to conquer her. 3500ft above sea level was the highest peak of the hill. All of us have to raise a white flag by hiking and carrying our bike instead of riding because of that. Thankfully, where it matters most, which is the 5-km hike uphill, the mud was not too sticky. Otherwise I cannot imagine the nightmare. And God was kind. Instead of burning sun, we had an overcast sky. It even drizzled as we struggled up the last 5km. After we managed to conquer the highest peak of the hill, now come another challenge where we have to fight with flies. It is because most of the vegetable farm was located at the hill and due to the organic fertilizer they used had attracted a lot of flies. At this time, all I need is to keep pedaling and get away from the hill as fast as I can even though the eye-catching scenic views are all laid out for you to feast your eyes on.

After every peak it should come a downhill and this is the section I have waited since started the hill section a few hours ago. The downhill ride is awesome and it even makes my fingers numb due to the impact while riding down. The off-road section came to the end when I end the downhill section. From there, tar all the way back to Habu where our meeting point located. Suddenly I realized that I have missed something. Yes, it is Razlan whom I left behind after we conquered the peak. I hope he managed to get through all the challenged that I have gone through just now. At 3.30p.m most of us including me arrived at the meeting point and quickly run for a 100Plus and a fried noodles at the nearby restaurant. Around 4.30p.m most of us including Razlan arrived at the meeting point and have chitchat at the restaurant before going back to our apartment. That is the end of our epic ride with a total of 60km. For me, it is a most unforgettable epic ride I have ridden on my GT Zaskar mountain bike. Thanks to the great weather, I had a wonderful time in Cameron Highlands.



A writer would like to thanks ‘Pedalphiles Cycling Club’ for the successful organized of Cameron Highlands Epic Ride. “Long Lives, Long Rides!”

No comments: